Building A Safe and Inclusive Community
The original version of this Safer Space Policy was written by organizers of Fur Free Toronto, and we thank them for allowing us to adopt the policy to make our community safer.This Safer Space Policy exists to, as best as we can, eliminate/facilitate an immediate response to any oppressive actions, behaviours, and language at our official events, protests, meetings, screenings, shows, etc. These include, but are not limited to, racism, sexism, ageism, sizeism, classism, ableism, transphobia, anti-choice rhetoric, cis-sexism and heterosexism. In addition to this, violent or disrespectful remarks/actions towards/regarding nonhuman animals, or a nonhuman animal being used as pejoratives is also not welcome language.We strive to facilitate a community and activist space that is safe and welcoming, and prioritize the needs of those typically marginalized by society. Please feel free to approach an organizer in confidence should anyone here make you feel unsafe. If you feel uncomfortable speaking to or with a male-identified person, or a cis-man, you can make this known to the women* at the event and your request for a woman* to facilitate your safety will be staunchly respected. Whenever possible, we may ask people to change or address unsafe behaviour or language. As a last resort, we reserve the right to ask people to leave our events, though we would much rather facilitate a solution and resolution that restores the safety of affected parties by corrective actions/choices.If you have any questions or need clarification about our Safer Space Policy, please get in touch with the Vancouver Island Vegan Association.
The following behaviours MUST result in being told to leave our events/groups/social media pages:
• Violating our Safer Space Policy, with impunity/intentionally
• Physical, verbal, or mental abuse
• Sexual harassment/unwanted touching/sexual aggression
• Intimidation/Fear tactics/bullying
The following behaviours MAY result in being told to leave at the discretion of the members(s) present, and LIKELY will warrant mediation/dialogue:
• Inappropriate / unwelcome comments and behaviours
• The use of slurs/violent/oppressive language
• Disruptive or blatantly disrespectful behaviour towards civilian (non-state representatives), organizers or individuals in attendance
• Causing a group member or event attendee discomfort or distress for any reason (including, but not limited to violating our Safer Space Policy, violating their personal space, ignoring an explicitly stated request for altered behaviour)
• Aggressive outbursts.